I have an old pc with an ATI Radeon 9500 PRO and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. I have experienced very slow flash videos, painful loading of wine programs and changing gtk2.0 themes. I have found a solution browsing the internet and unfortunately I cannot give the author the right credits at this moment ( I hope to do it soon editing this post). This solution works like a charm for me:
- Run a terminal and type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop to shut down Gnome.
- Log in with your username and password
- Now type sudo Xorg -configure to create xorg.conf.new in your home.
- Type command sudo gdm stop to restart Gnome.
- sudo gedit xorg.conf.new
- Add these lines in Section "Device":
- Option "AGPmode" "1"
- Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
- Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
- Option "AccelDFS" "true"
- Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
- Option "EnableDepthMoves" "true"
8. Repeat steps 1 and 4 to restart Gnome.
I discussed the matter at Ubuntu Forums.